Overview: Resident Evil 3 Remake is a survival horror video game developed and published by Capcom. It is a remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Please perform the steps provided in this article to Fix RESIDENT EVIL 3 Remake Crashing, Freezing, Errors and FPS Issue on PC.
Fix Resident Evil 3 re3.exe Has Stopped Working or Fatal Application Exit Error
Change DirectX12 Value to 11
Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RE3
Make a right-click on re3.config and open with notepad
Change Capability=DirectX12 value to Capability=DirectX11
Save the changes and then launch the game.
Disable Steam Overlay and Desktop theatre
Open Steam, go to the game library, make a right-click on Resident Evil 3 game, select Properties, uncheck the tick mark on Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game and Use Desktop Game Theatrewhile SteamVR is Active.
Install Media Feature Pack on Windows:
Update Graphics card driver.
Update Graphics Driver, Windows Update and Media Feature Pack to Play RESIDENT EVIL 3
Visit the links provided below to update the latest graphics drivers:
During installation make sure you go for a clean installation.
To update Windows 10 Press Windows + I on the keyboard > Update & Security > Check for Updates.
Windows 7 users can install Windows 7 sp1 platform update. Windows 7 Users use this link to update.
Also, install Microsoft’s Media Feature Pack from the links provided below:
Run RESIDENT EVIL 3 on Dedicated Graphics Card
Laptop Users with dual graphics card please perform the steps provided below:
- Run RESIDENT EVIL 3 on Nvidia video card, make a right-click on the desktop to open Nvidia Control Panel, go to Manage 3D Settings.
- Click on the Program Settings and select RESIDENT EVIL 3 from the drop-down list (If you don’t see RESIDENT EVIL 3 in the list click on Add and find RESIDENT EVIL 3 in the list, you can also click on Browse and find RESIDENT EVIL 3 executable file).
- After selecting the executable of RESIDENT EVIL 3, set the preferred graphics processor to a High-performance Nvidia processor.
- Launch the AMD Catalyst Control Center.
- Under Switchable Graphics, choose High-Performance section and then choose RESIDENT EVIL 3 (Clicking on ‘Browse if you don’t find the exe of RESIDENT EVIL 3)
- Click on Apply.
Perform Clean Boot & Close Background Apps
Perform Clean boot
- Open Run box by pressing Windows + R, type in msconfig and click on OK.
- Click the Services tab and check the box to Hide all Microsoft Services, then click the Disable All button.
- Click on Apply and OK to save the changes and restart your PC.
- Now launch RESIDENT EVIL 3 Collection game.
Close Background apps
- Open Run box by pressing Windows + R, type in msconfig in the Run box and click OK.
- In the Startup tab, click on open task manager, make a right-click on each apps and click on disable.
- Windows 10 users, press Windows + I to open Windows 10 settings, go to Privacy, find Background Apps under apps permissions, now click on the slider to turn off the background Apps.
Run RESIDENT EVIL 3 as an Administrator
Make a right-click RESIDENT EVIL 3 executable file in the INSTALLATION DIRECTORY. Select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab and check the box at the bottom under settings where it says Run this Program as an administrator and hit Apply and OK.
Add RESIDENT EVIL 3 to the Antivirus Program
If you are unable to launch RESIDENT EVIL 3 or RESIDENT EVIL 3 does not start then make sure to allow the RESIDENT EVIL 3 executable and game folders to your antivirus software. Doing this will also help you to save RESIDENT EVIL 3 successfully.
You can find the RESIDENT EVIL 3 executable file as shown below:
RESIDENT EVIL 3 Installation Directory Location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RE3
RESIDENT EVIL RESISTANCE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RESIDENT EVIL RESISTANCE
Go to these locations and add the game exe file to your antivirus program. Also, disable the Controlled Folder Access from Windows security:
- Type in Windows Security in the Windows search box to open Windows Security.
- Click on Virus & threat protection
- On the next screen under Ransomware protection click on Manage ransomware protection.
- Under Controlled folder access, click on allow an app through Controlled folder access
- and then click on Add an Allowed app and select Browse all apps to add RESIDENT EVIL 3 exe.
In case the issue still persists then disable your Antivirus while playing RESIDENT EVIL 3.
Fix Resident Evil 3 Audio Issue
- Make a right-click on the Windows speaker icon > Troubleshoot Sound problems.
- Make a right-click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen > Open Sound Settings > click on the Sound Control Panel > Go to the Playback tab> disable all the sound devices except the internal speaker or the speaker which you want to use.
- Update the sound card driver.
Fix RESIDENT EVIL 3 Black Screen Issue
- Press ALT + ENTER key on the keyboard to switch to Windows mode.
- Verify or Repair RESIDENT EVIL 3 in the steam app.
- Run the game in Windowed mode.
- Run the game on the dedicated graphics card. and select High Performance in Graphics settings.
- Uninstall and reinstall the game.
Avoid Overclocking Hardware While Playing RESIDENT EVIL 3
Overclocking of CPU or GPU can cause system instability and result in multiple issues while playing RESIDENT EVIL 3. Make sure to disable overclocking and revert the hardware back to the factory default state.
Verify the RESIDENT EVIL 3 Game Files
Go to the game library on Steam, right-click on RESIDENT EVIL 3 game, click on Properties, go to the Local files tab and click on the Verify integrity of game files…
Uninstall and reinstall RESIDENT EVIL 3
In case you are still facing issues with RESIDENT EVIL 3, uninstall the game from Steam, delete all game-related files then try reinstalling RESIDENT EVIL 3.